Thursday, April 9, 2015

How to Fight K-Drama Boredom

Let's say you've been a fan of Korean Dramas for years and you've finally gotten to the point where the excitement has worn off. The recent set of dramas you've seen didn't take your breath away and you are considering giving it up but you really don't want to. What do you do? 

Even though I've only been a K-Drama fan for two years, I have hit a few slumps. The shows I wanted to watch didn't interest me as much as I thought they would, I am getting bored of the same story line, I hate the OSTs they choose, and the list goes on. However, I always find a way to renew my love for K-Dramas with these few tricks. 


1. Watch a drama from a country other than Korea. You can get dramas and movies from all over the world in subtitles for your language through multiple streaming sites. If Korea isn't holding your attention anymore then check out dramas from other countries. When I hit a K-Drama slump I usually turn to Taiwanese, Japanese, or American dramas. They are great at entertaining me until another K-Drama comes along that piques my interest. Also, it's fun to compare entertainment norms between countries.



2. Watch a few episodes of a drama you loved. Sometimes when I can't think of anything else to watch I watch a couple of episodes of a drama that I've seen already. I've re-watched the first few episodes of shows like Boys Over Flowers and Nail Shop Paris because they reminded me why I fell in love with K-Dramas. If you're not interested in re-watching whole episodes then find some clips from your favorite shows and relive the magic.



3. Watch other forms of Korean entertainment. Variety shows and movies are a great way to escape the monotony that K-Dramas can have. Variety shows are, for the most part, unscripted and often show a different side to the actors that you've come to love. Movies give you all the drama that you love in K-Dramas but in a shorter amount of time. At one point I didn't watch any K-Dramas, but instead watched like 10 Korean movies. It was kind of therapeutic. I got all that bad K-Drama taste out of my mouth and when I returned to K-Dramas I was able to see certain actors in a better light and really appreciate their talents.



4. Marathon a popular drama you haven't seen yet. There are always those dramas that people constantly talk about even years after it released the last episode. If you want to get out of a slump then I suggest power watching one of the shows you're most curious about. For instance, I got really into simulcast K-Dramas around the time The Master's Sun came out. I didn't watch it when it was out, but about a year later I just told myself to watch it and I FELL IN LOVE! Now whenever something comes out with the actors in it I am confident about the quality. So far following those actors has not steered me wrong and the show definitely restored my love for K-Dramas.

5. Take a break. I know you don't really want to give it up but if you're seriously not feeling it anymore then take an extended break. The few breaks I have taken have only been for a few days at a time, at most a week and a half but I enjoyed dramas much more after taking a little hiatus. You can clear your mind of all the sucky dramas that got your hopes up and really define what you'd like to see out of a K-Drama. Once you know exactly what you'd like to see you can search for shows that fit those parameters and restore your love of K-Dramas.

Here is a list of shows/movies that helped me get back to loving K-Dramas:
Running Man (Variety), Bitter Blood (Japanese), Just You (Taiwanese), Grimm (American), The Face Reader (Movie), My Girlfriend's an Agent (Movie), Architecture 101 (Movie), Misaeng (K-Drama Marathon), Marriage, Not Dating (K-Drama Marathon), Empire (American), Attack on Titan (Anime), Tokyo Ghoul (Anime), Dream Knight (Mini-Drama)
All of these shows were entertaining, introduced me to new actors, and gave me a chance to see a different side to some of my favorite actors.

Here's hoping that your K-Drama boredom will end soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment