Friday, April 11, 2014

REVIEW: Medical Top Team Korean Drama

photo source: asianwiki.com
Medical Top Team is about a group of doctors at Kwanghae University Hospital coming together to form the best team of doctors and surgeons in the country. Their plan is to operate on complex surgeries and research rare illnesses, but all that idealism gets muddied by harsh hospital politics between the illegitimate son and the first daughter-in-law of the hospital's president.

It wasn't the best show or even the best medical show I've ever seen, but it wasn't the worst either. A lot of comments said that it was boring, but not every show can be a fantasy romance between a rich guy and a poor girl. It was a very realistic show in a lot of instances and that made it a little less entertaining but it had some enjoyable elements.

What I Liked:
1. The cast. The cast was full of great actors and great up-and-comers. It's lead? Kwon Sang Woo, who plays the kind hearted but straight forward Dr. Tae Shin Park. The second male lead, Dr. Seung Jae Han was played by Ju Ji Hoon, and the second female lead is Choi Ah Jin played by Oh Yeon Seo. The other cast members worth recognizing is the maknae (youngest member) of the group, Kim Sung Woo played by Choi Minho,  Shin Hye Soo played by Kim Young Ae, Jang Yong Sup played by Anh Nae Sang, and a whole bunch of other people. You can view the full cast list HERE. Anyway, the cast was pretty great and they're all really great actors that I would like to see in more things.

2. The couples. When I think of this show, I think about is all the adorable couples and the long amount of time that it took to establish them. I have no problem with a show being devoid of romance, but if there is the promise of romance then there needs to be romance! We kept getting close and then they kept pulling back. Talk about frustrating. Eventually, we did get some romances and thankfully it was the couples that I wanted to see.


What I Didn't Like:
Though I don't regret watching, not many people found the show to be worth the 20 hours. Here are some of my ideas why.

1. Lack of romance. As I said above there is nothing wrong with a show lacking romance but if you're going to constantly suggest it then make it happen already. It took almost the whole show for the couples to form. It was painful to watch them give each other those longing looks and then do nothing about it.

2. Heavy on Medical jargon. This show was definitely a medical show, there's no doubting that. It seemed as though half the script was made up of medical terms which makes sense but it dragged down the dialogue a bit.

3. No accomplishments, at least not really. There was a lot of fighting and battling going on but I don't think either side really came out on top. In the end, all of Dr. Han's clawing came out to the Medical Top Team disbanding and there being a battle within the team. Thankfully everyone made up in the end but the team had to start all over again making all the previous battling kind of pointless.

Though I was unsatisfied with the lack of romantic situations, it wasn't a bad show. It was a pretty standard show, not bad but not great. I don't regret watching it but I don't think I'd suggest it to other people or watch it again.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I believe in the beginning it was written pretty well but when they added certain stories, for example, the woman pretending to be his mother. I think after that his character lost spark. What happened to his strong connection with the patients. I believe there were probably issues with production. Seen it in other shows.

    ReplyDelete